Efficient Application Processors for Every Level of Performance
Arm Cortex-A processors are at the heart of the most powerful and compelling technology products. They are deployed in mobile devices, networking infrastructure, home and consumer devices, automotive in-vehicle infotainment and driver automation systems, and embedded designs. Cortex-A processors power intelligent solutions, from edge to cloud, for next-generation experiences.
Smallest, lowest power
The Cortex-A3X series processors are available on the Armv8-A architecture.
All Cortex-A based processors share a commonly supported architecture and feature set. Armv7-A processors support a 32-bit instruction set and data path as well as the mixed 16/32-bit Thumb2 instruction set. Armv8-A Cortex-A processors add support for the AArch32/AArch64 execution states. Armv8.2-A Cortex-A processors add architecture extensions for greater impact on system performance. All Cortex-A processors are backwards compatible and backed by a strong Arm ecosystem.
Cortex-A processors offer support for a range of full Operating Systems including Linux, Android and Chrome.
Cortex-A series processors have been developed to run a number of architecture extensions:
- DynamIQ technology
- big.LITTLE technology
- Arm TrustZone, to provide support for security
- SIMD and Advanced SIMD (NEON) technologies
- Arm Floating Point architecture (VFP)
All Armv7-A and Armv8-A based processor cores featured in the current Arm processor portfolio supports Arm's multi-core technologies.
- Up to eight-core implementations for all DynamIQ based processors
- Up to quad-core implementation for all processors using Armv7-A and the original Armv8-A specification
A number of key points are common to the Cortex-A family of devices:
- Performance and efficiency: Scalable from single to multi-core with full hardware coherency
- Flexibility and scalability: Build for premium, mid-range, and entry level
- Market-leading ecosystem: Rich software and hardware ecosystem built on Arm TrustZone foundation
The success of the Cortex-A processors is built on the innovation of Arm partners who have licensed these processors and developed a wide array of success stories in various markets.
Cortex-A series processors scale efficiently across a range of mobile, consumer, embedded and infrastructure devices. Cortex-A processors have shipped billions of units across markets, such as:
- Automotive and ADAS Systems
- Server and networking
- Tablets and readers
- Set-top and satellite receivers
- Home gateways